Saturday, January 4, 2014

My Next Inspirational Experience


....And then Greg and I came across a tribute film made in memory of Pina Bausch, dancer and choreographer who died of cancer in 2009, age 68.
 I had not heard of her before. 
As we watched the dancers and the amazing choreography, I was totally mesmerised by the physical movement and human expression. 
These dancers defy gravity.
In my search for images of figures that would express the powerful human feelings, I'd fallen into the world of Pina, who was able to almost draw the blood out of her dancers. 
Be it deep angst or ecstasy, joy, sorrow, anger, love, emptiness....it is all there in these dancers.




 I only have to Google images - Pina Bausch and there is a feast for my eyes to gaze on. The other exciting discovery with this short film was the stunning variety of music that Pina used for the dances.

 So....good that we used the Shazzam app on my phone to track it down. For those who haven't used it before, it is an app where you just hold the mobile phone microphone next to the music playing and it will instantly search the web, match the music and there you have all the information you need to buy the song from itunes. Instantly, after enjoying the film, we are listening to our favourite new music in our lounge room. Thats when I love technology!!
  
If you have 90 mins and you want to see some unbelievable contemporary dance/theatre go to this website:
http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/80541709
A feature-length dance film with the ensemble of the Tanztheater Wuppertal Pina Bausch, featuring the unique and inspiring art of the great German choreographer Pina Bausch, who died in the summer of 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments