Sunday, September 8, 2013

Passion and Commitment Overcome Frustration

After getting back from my 'winter in the country' holiday it has been all go. Thankfully all good too.
I am now settled in to my new studio. I love the location and the people I am working alongside and creativity is flowing.

I recently sold a number of paintings at the Artsource 'Open Studio Day' back in Midland and that was such an encouragement to keep going the way I am going - learning and experimenting, and I am starting to believe that my work is valued. Believing this myself has taken some time. It is much harder to take each step if I am full of self-doubt. I need to love my finished work and not just creating it.

I taught a Contour drawing class in Jackson's Paint supplies store a few weeks back and that was interesting and fun, especially as it was my first time teaching contour drawing.

I have been teaching a number of InterPlay groups and though I have been internally anxious working with new groups I've really enjoyed the work and seeing the delighted response of the participants.

On my mind now is setting up cold wax medium for the first time in my studio. 
I have been researching where I can source the ready made cold wax in Australia, at a reasonable price. I have a couple of tins of Gamblin Cold Wax Medium being delivered soon but I am also researching the recipe to make my own from Bees Wax and solvents, hopefully nice smelling citrus solvent rather than turpentine. I've been reading up on ways to safely melt the wax to the right temperature and not overheat it which can be very dangerous, especially if I decide to use encaustic - hot wax, and I'm making sure I have plenty of ventilation.
 I have been to Bunnings hardware and had some planks of plywood cut up ready to use as my substrate. Can you believe it is $1 a cut on top of the wood price. I need to find someone with a circular saw! 
There is so much to think about and all the while keeping costs down to a minimum is a challenge. The coldwax website and forum that I am a member of has been very helpful.  http://oilandwax.ning.com/

Information on use of tree resin is much more difficult to come by. Fortunately I have recently met an artist named Marissa who has just finished studying and is working in Bees Wax and Resin in her new studio with Artscource in Midland, where my previous studio was. She grinds up the hardened resin in a bowl and adds methylated spirits to dilute to a spreadable mixture. I'm starting to feel more like a chemist than an artist! I'm so used to just picking up of my studio shelf whatever I need and getting it onto the canvas. All this preparation is frustrating, and I am though I'm lacking in confidence,  I haven't given up yet. Passion and commitment lead the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments